The class’ focus is on federal politics.
Institutions Do Matter
- Institutional designs are not neutral.
- Designs are resistant to change.
- History matters.
- Ideological views exist.
- Regionalism exists.
- Societal: linguistic, gender, class, age, race, religion, urban-rural.
Political Challenges and Opportunities
- Political parties try to appeal to certain voters and pockets of money.
Political Considerations Matter
- Politics often trumps ideologies.
- Often trumps desire for national unity.
- Often trumps best policies.
- Political right was divided ten years ago. Today, the political right is united.