American Exceptional-ism (Jan. 15, 2013)
January-15-13 11:30 AM
- Stanley Hoffmann
- Alexis de Tocqueville
- Henry Cabot Lodge
- Alfred Thayer Mahan
- Bill Maher
- Ernst May
- Cecil Crabb, Jr.
- Newt Gingrich
- Wrote "Gulliver's Troubles."
○ Book was about the United States as a superpower not being able to
impose its power.
- Argues that no ideology exists in the United States.
○ Reasoning (three reasons):
He says there is no set of beliefs that are institutionalized (ex.
There is no witch-hunt to single out non-believers or enemies of the
Even U.S. principals are not consistently upheld.
○ Hoffmann may be wrong (Ron Wheeler's arguments):
Speeches in Congress are usually over the top?
Judeo Christian religions often take up the ideological views of most
It is difficult for an atheist to run for office… it'll be very hard to get
elected if one does not believe