January 22, 2013
January-22-13 11:30 AM
- Liberal internationalism
○ Woodrow Wilson believed that if all countries were republics, there wouldn't
be wars anymore (referring to work titled 'Perpetual Peace').
○ During World War I, a lot of people were displaced while those in the Turkish
Empire were liberated.
At the end of the war, we had a real mess in terms of territorial disputes.
○ Wilson's plan
Wilson's plan was to ask people which empire they'd like to be a part of…
or whether they'd like to be an independent state.
In other cases, he thought people shouldn't be shuttled around like
There were some who weren't ready or self-rule… but the imperials
shouldn't treat people like property, but should prepare them for
ultimate self-rule and property.
○ The U.S. thoroughly vilified Germany throughout WWI.
○ A century of imperialism would occur.
○ Some criticized Wilson for not being more demanding at the Paris Peace
Conference at the end of the war.
○ Liberals of Wilson's type argues that the domestic structure of states, such as
their values, identity and cultures are at stake. They are important for war,
Wilson was not unique in this.
There was a long strain on American policy.
○ …One of things we've discovered is the nature of propaganda… sometimes,
the action of the enemy is do despicable that people are prepared to pay
The longer the war goes on and the more lives that are lost, the money
that it costs… there will be less enthusiasm for Americans to fight.
□ This happened in Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, etc… it always happens.
○ Democracies tend to be the most interventionist states.
This means that if you define "war" in certain ways, they are the most
○ Liberal internationalists have a lot of faith like Woodrow Wilson did in
international organizations such as the United Nations and NATO.
Like all liberals, liberal internationalists are not trusting of sovereign
nations or sovereign organizations.
○ mmanuel Kant
Let the people decide instead of dictators, like Pinochet.
○ Jimmy Carter
Cut off foreign aid to countries whose human rights records he didn't
Other presidents had done so too..
Cut off funding to Brazil and relations soured.
○ Liberal internationalists
They're usually Democrats while most Republicans are realists… or at
least it' assumed that they are.
○ Realists like Hobbes advocate anarchy.
They emphasize the fact that there is no world government.