January 31, 2013
January-31-13 11:32 AM
Mao did not like Stalin.
- The Cold War was considered to be irreversible once China asked for the Soviet Union's help.
Americanssupported Syngman Rhee when Kim il-Song was in power in North Korea.
In 1950,North Korea attacked South Korea.
• South Korea may well have attacked the North, had things gone on for a few more months.
• Since documents have been released, we now know that the North attacked the South, and
reasons for reports coming is because someattacks were repelled.
• All efforts to re-unify Korea failed.
• Armies were eventually driven to the North, but not before the Chinese got involved.
• The Chinese sent volunteers into China to prevent the South Koreans (with UN backing) from
pushing all the way to the border with China.
• There was never any declared war or fighting.
• The reason this became a turning point is because of how the United State viewed it.
○ They thought that if they didn't make a stand here, Communistforces could expand.
○ The U.S. governmentcame to a conclusion that a strong stand would have to be made.
○ Everything possible had to be done to make sure that the North Koreans wouldn't take
over the South.
General Douglas MacArthur
- Distinguished himself in World War II and believed that the incident was just a first shot at
World War III.
○ Communistswere attacking other countries with supplies and help planning from the
○ MacArthur wanted to take the battle to Beijing and Moscow.
○ Many thought that MacArthur would eventually becomethe Republican presidential
- Named after senator from Wisconsin (Joseph MacArthur).
○ Was always staunch anti-Communist.
- Unless really strong action was used to prevent Communistsfrom succeeding, they would.
○ Communistshad infiltrated U.S. governmentas well.
- Sometimes,McCarthy would ask somebodyafter they pledged to tell the truth to also pledge
that they did not believe in the violent overthrowof the U.S. government.
- Thousands of Americans were accused of being Communists,and they became the subject of
investigations by the FBI.
- Had been a Democratsupporting Franklin Roosevelt.
- After World War II, he was still a Democratand rose to become the head of the Actors Guild in
- Was ambitious and respected.
- Reagan eventually became Republican
○ He assisted McCarthy in his FBI investigations.
- A lot of people were fed up with McCarthy's shenanigans.
- In 1954,McCarthy was censured by the U.S. Senate, ending any witch-hunts.
○ He died in 1956,reportedly as a "broken man."
○ He was a demagogue.
It wasn't hard to show that he was abusing powers. ○ It wasn't hard to show that he was abusing powers.
Containment in the '50s
- Where containmentwas lai