Nixon and Ford Administrations
March-05-13 11:33 AM
By the time Ford took over from the Nixon administration, he tried to get more money
from Congress for the Vietnam War.
- Cambodia fell to Communist forces.
- Saigon was renamed Ho Chi Minh City.
- In the strongest country on the planet, they were kicked in the teeth by
peasants in Asia?
- Took office in January 1975.
- Was a different kind of politician with a different ideology.
- Had no desire to poison relations with USSR or China.
○ He was more willing to criticize them on their internal policies.
Focused more on foreign policy and the goal was to try to persuade
the Soviets towards better international behaviour.
- Carter's Human Rights Doctrine
○ It does matter how governments are chosen and disposed of.
○ Liberals aren't the only ones who believes these kind of things… they
○ When Carter came in and began talking about human rights and the
internal affairs of states and how governments are chosen, this was
It wasn`t that his predecessors didn`t care about it… they just didn`t
He began in office with an attack on the Soviets` human rights
record, which would poison the relations to some extent.
It wasn't all by his choice and it wasn't all by American policies.
○ While the Americans were licking their wounds after having been kicked
around in Asia, the Soviet Union went on the offensive in Africa (Ethiopia,
They supported guerrilla movements there.
○ Almost taken Republican nomination away from Gerald Ford, an
○ He lost narrowly to Ford in the Republican presidential race.
- In 1969, the Shah of Iran left his country, never to return, and Shiites took over
positions of power and deposed the entire apparatus of the Shah of Iran.
○ They took over and eliminated Savak.
○ The Shah had been one of t