Canada and NATO, Part 2?
January-23-13 9:32 AM
There are some things that can lead to "Mission Creep."
- None of the political parties in Canada have actually opposed intervention, as it fits into our
narrative as peacekeepersand good international citizens.
○ It's hard to say no.
○ In a similar vein to Afghanistan.
Liberals, ProgressiveConservativesand Canadian Alliance supported mission.
It really drained our military.
○ At one point, Canada thought of giving the military a one-year leave to rebuild in 2011.
○ Our system virtually guarantees that one party can make decisions unilaterally.
○ In Israel, Netanyahu won re-electionbut his majorityis gone.
- Diefenbaker accepts military vehicles that are capable of transporting nukes.
- Howard Green, as well as public opinion, is largely anti-nuclear.
○ Liberals are also anti-nuclear.
- The Liberals had been led by Louis St. Laurent, who made Lester B. Pearson his Minister of
○ The Liberals failed to win in 1957!
○ From 1920 and 1948,the Liberals were in power for all but six years.
- Pearson is firmly anti-nuclear.
○ As long as he is oppositionleader, Diefenbaker can safely backtrack on his stance on
○ 1960-61:Diefenbaker has change of heart and decides that nuclear warheads are
- John F. Kennedy (JFK) and the American administration called Diefenbaker a liar.
○ JFK was what Obama is to Canada right now.
○ JFK was revered in Canada and was considered to be the best popular politician in
Canada, even though he was a lame American Democrat.
○ The Americans release informa