Feb. 15, 2013
February-15-13 9:38 AM
- Canada has officially extended its mission in Mali for at least another 30 days.
In 1995, 500 Canadian troops were stationed in Haiti as part of a UN force to assist
the Haitian government following the re-establishment of civilian control.
- Similarly, we are "good" in Mali, as we can speak French…
- This war ended up being about fish.
- There was a huge concern about dwindling fish stocks.
- The Spanish continue to fish heavily, but they are fishing outside of Canada's
○ Canada, however, says they must stop and it sends a ship to stop a
They were using nets considered illegal in Canada.
The vessel cut the net and ran for it.
The vessel was towed to Canada.
○ This led to Spanish and Canadian conflict.
- The Balkan situation in 2000 is winding down.
- Canadian forces are now being withdrawn from the Balkans.
- We have a problem: we don't have a way of bringing Canadian troops home.
○ An Ame