Post-Cold War Security
February-13-13 9:46 AM
R2P: Responsibility to Protect.
- It is the idea that the international community has an obligation to protect
citizens who are not being protected by the government, or are systematically
being attacked by their government.
- State sovereignty is dominant.
○ Every individual state is responsible for their own affairs.
○ A government can lose its legitimacy if it violates human rights… example:
killing one's own people.
○ If you can do something about this, it is now an obligation.
- Sovereignty was the dominant norm throughout the Cold War.
○ Realistically, ideology was the defining norms of war. If you were not
Communist or your ideology didn't clash with world powers, such as the
U.S., they'd leave you alone.
- Communication technology
○ Communication technology, such as the rise of cell phones, made it
impossible to "hide in the sand."
- Somalia would also prove to be important to the development of R2P wi