March 13, 2013 (Powers of the Prime Minister)
March-13-13 9:35 AM
- One of the checks on prime ministers, including foreign policy, was the
convention of Cabinet solidarity.
- Minister of External Affairs didn't exist until after King's cabinet.
- Without cabinet solidarity, the prime minister usually wouldn't do anything.
Today, the prime minister makes the calls…
- Popular will
○ It still exists today, even with a majority government.
○ As such, one of the key checks is that he has to stay in tune with the
majority of Canadians.
If he goes out of the safe zone, he risks being defeated.
○ Prime ministers tend to do crazy things when:
They know they are doomed.
They won't be running again.
Provinces and the Courts
- Provinces' ability to place a check on the feds is limited, but also powerful.
- Provinces can actively campaign against or for certain foreign policy issues.