March 22, 2013
March-22-13 9:32 AM
Cabinet: Division Between Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs
One of the benefits of having a minister in for a significant period of time: if that
minister chooses, they can pick specific foreign agendas. They can take their thing
and run with it.
- A good example is Lloyd Axworthy's doctrine on human security.
- The Axworthy Doctrine:
○ The belief that Canada could exert influence on the world using soft power
in the area of human security.
○ Soft power initially became the new thing.
○ The thing about human security is that it's a great sell to your own people
and people of other countries.
It's a much harder sell to governments (particularly strong, large
- Budget cuts
○ In the mid-90s, huge, deep, budget cuts occurred under the watch of the
Liberal government (according to current government: