March 27, 2013
March-27-13 9:33 AM
- This department has largely shot up in prominence in the last decade or so.
- A lot of foreign policy decisions are set-up through the Department of National
- The problem is…
○ A lot of bureaucrats are very territorial.
- Currently, Foreign Affairs has enjoyed a renaissance in political leadership.
Other Actors in the Formulation of Canadian Foreign Policy
- The civil service
- Provinces and Territories
The Civil Service
- In terms of security, there are bureaucrats for every department and are
separate from each other.
○ CSIS, which reports to the Minister of Public Safety, is still separate from
- There is another separate institution: Security Intelligence Review Committee.
○ They are all empowered to oversee