March 25, 2013
March-25-13 9:20 AM
Guest Speaker: Stephen Blank (University of Ottawa)
Fulbright Chair of Governance and Public Administration
This year is the 20th anniversary of NAFTA?
U.S. investment in Canada increased dramatically following World War II.
- In the 1970s, U.S. multinational corporations faced lots of scrutiny… a lot of
people disliked them.
○ It was also the beginning of the Trudeau era.
- The issue for Canada was the oil crisis in 1973.
○ Canadians called themselves "blue-eyed Arabs."
○ This widened the distance in relations between the U.S. and Canada.
○ There were also tensions within Canada between the feds and Alberta
○ This was because oil prices dropped in 1972.
- U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement (FTA) in 1989.
○ Under Trudeau, Canada reached out to the U.S. for a potential free trade
agreement but was not ratified until 1989 under Mulroney's government.
○ Mexico, however, wanted to open its economy… which eventually led to
the creation/ratification of NAFTA, which was ratified in 1994.
- In the 1970s, American multi-national corporations attempted to become "g