1993: Paradigm Shift in Canadian Politics
April-05-13 9:35 AM
Various ways Parliament can play as a check on foreign policy
- Prior to 1993, the two main political parties were the Liberals and Progressive
○ While there were some differences in foreign policy, particularly early on.
○ The historical Conservative party originally opposed further ties with the
The Liberals had traditionally favoured a more continental approach.
- In most elections, foreign policy has little to do with the elections itself.
○ Every prime minister proposes big change… but they always end up
following a previous prime minister's track.
- In 1993, a lot of interesting things happen.
○ Progressive Conservatives win two seats… and never return as a force.