Canada (494,883)
Psychology (345)
PSY 120 (85)

Psychology 110 - December 01 2009.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

PSY 120
Donna Darbellay

Psychology 110 1 December 1 2009 Chapter Eight IV. Individuals in groups a. Conformity – people in groups conform, taking action or adopting attitudes as a result of real or imagined group pressure a. North American – individual culture b. Asian – conformity c. Increase under conditions [peer pressure] d. Reasons – identity – acceptation [self interest] – avoid punishment e. Can be good i. Order ii. Reduce anxiety Do not loose M f. Can be bad critical thinking i. Lost individuality I ii. Cognitive dissonance b. Group think N a. Tendency for the group to think alike D b. Best decision is not always made c. Example – high school clicks – we tend to just conform L - teams d. An illusion E i. We think we all agree but deep down you really do not, you choose not to think S about it – lack of critical thinking e. Poor decisions – not usually a good outcome – can even be disastrous S c. The Anonymous crowd a. Bystander apathy – diffusion of responsibility N i. In organized or anonymous groups, the tendency of members to avoid taking E responsibility for actions decisions, assuming that others will do so b. Social Loafing – each member of the team slows down causing others to work harder S i. Occurs when individual members are not accountable for the work they do c. Deindividuation – in group
More Less

Related notes for PSY 120

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.