Psychology (345)
PSY 120 (85)

Psychology 110 - February 02 2010.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Saskatchewan
PSY 120
Donna Darbellay

Psychology 110 1 February 02 2010 Metal tradition [Second part from beginning of January 28 2010 notes] - Not merely bio reflex - Thought  source  It is in the mind - Can’t startle reaction of fear - Allows culture – teachers thought patterns  Cultural emotions  Different customs - Change thoughts  changes emotion  “If I change my thoughts, I can change my mood” Elements of Emotion: The mind  Experience of emotion depends on two factors  Psychological arousal  Cognitive interpretation  We feel emotions when we can label the psychological changes… but may not always be accurate  Attributions  The explanation that people make of their own and others peoples behaviours  Your interpretation of behaviour generates the emotional response  How you explain the outcome of winning a silver medal instead of gold  You view of self attributes to how you perceive things  Relates to upwards and downwards social comparisons, complex emotions, and our ability to feel conflicting emotions at the same time  Cognitive and Emotional Complexity  Cognitive affect emotions, and emotional states affect cognitions  Some emotions [mostly primary] require only simple cognitions or may involve conditioned responses  Infants  Cognitive and emotional developments occur together, become more complex with age and experience  Cognitive therapy attempts to change emotions by changing cognitions The boy who was raised as a dog – Bruise Perry Introduction Ande II Case III Major topics, and sub topics. Where you see them applied here! Due mid March Psychology 110 2 February 02 2010 Elements of emotion: The culture  Some researchers say individuals may differ in likelihood of secondary emotions o Primary emotions considered prototype of the concept emotion o Young children express prototypical emotions first through words o As children age, emotional distinctions specific to their language and culture emerge  Other researchers say that no aspect of emotion is untouched by culture or context  Some cultures have words for specific emotions unknown to other cultures o Schandenfreude, hagaii  Some cultures lack words for emotions that seem universal o Tahitians lack word for sadness  Culture may influence which emotions are defined as basic or primary ** see examples in textbook**  Culture and emotional expression o Display rules: social and culture rules that regulate when, how, and where a person may express [or must suppress] emotions o Emotion work: expressions of an emotion that the person does not really, often because of a role requirement  Sometimes we have to hide emotions we feel, show emotions we do not  No sex differences in expressiveness in jobs that require it
More Less

Related notes for PSY 120

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.