Stages of Sleep Cycle
Exploring the Dream World
• Most people dream, although may not be aware
– Lucid dreams: dream in which the dreamer is aware that they are dreaming, may
be able to exert some control over dream
• Various theories proposed to explain the purpose of dreams
– Psychoanalytic, problem-focused, cognitive, activation-synthesis
Dreams as Unconscious Wishes
• Freud concluded that dreams provide insight into our unconscious.
• Manifest content includes aspects of the dream we consciously experience and latent
content includes unconscious wishes and thoughts symbolized in the dream.
• To understand a dream we must distinguish manifest content from latent content.
• Not everything in dream is symbolic.
Dreams as Efforts to Deal with Problems
• Dreams may reflect ongoing conscious issues such as concerns over relationships, work,