Soc 214 Feb 27.doc

2 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 214
Professor
Lisa Broda

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
Soc 214 February 27 2012 1 When you hear about human trafficking in the sex trade, most people have an image of women being smuggled into Canada from abroad and forced to work in seamy brothels. But there's a thriving trafficking trade right here at home and it's run by pimps who prey on the naïve and innocent. It could be a young woman from your neighbourhood, maybe the daughter of a friend, or the girl next door.And her entry into the sex trade is rarely by choice. It starts in a bar, a club or even online: a meeting with someone who makes the girl feel special when they find themselves isolated, lonely and confused. But soon that relationship turns ugly and by then it's too late to escape. In reality, that charming boyfriend is a pimp who uses threats, beatings and rape to force the girl into prostitution. "He beat me up so bad that my hotel room looked like a murder scene," said Jasmine, a former sex trade worker, who drifted into prostitution when she was a university student. "My face was so mangled I didn't even look like myself anymore," she said. InYork Region, a suburb north of Toronto, police are trying a new approach to rescue women like Jasmine from the sex trade. The aim is to treat them not as criminals, but as victims. "They're crying for help," said Det. Sgt. Henry De Ruiter, the head ofYork Regional Police Drugs and Vice Unit. "So if we can get in there and can establish that rapport and hope for t
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit