Remember: social construction emphasizes the importance of culture and context in
understanding what occurs in society
Constructing knowledge based on this understanding
It is based on specific assumptions about reality, knowledge, and learning
Reality: is constructed through human activity, society together invent the properties of the world
Knowledge: is also a human product, and is socially and culturally constructed
Learning: a social process via social activities
Sexual Deviance continued
Constructionalism – sexual scripts
Cultural Scenarios: instructional guides that exist at the level of collective life, whats okay and
what is not okay
Inter-personal Scripts: re-writing the script in our relationships
Intra-Psychic Scripts: relates to our imaginations, what we believe about sex, gender, and
Deviating from Sexual Norms/Characteristics
1. The degree of consent. There is a challenge in literature that we do not all agree what consent
2. The identities of the participants. The relationships between the participants.
3. Certain kinds of acts and conducts.
4. The settings in which this occurs.
Forms of Sexual Deviance Prostitution
Prostitution is not well defined
From a sociological/deviant standpoint prostitution can be defined as:
◦ the exchange of money or material goods for a sexual act