Feb 6 2013
SSRL – Social Science Research Laboratory
SGAL – Survey and GroupAnalysis Laboratory
SECC – Student Employment and Career Centre
Growing in popularity
◦ Embedded in the email
◦ easier to answer
◦ Embedded in attachments
◦ can have more elaborate and attractive formatting
◦ Respondents go to a website to complete the questionnaire.
Advantages and disadvantages of online surveys compared to mailed questionnaires:
Adva0ntages: Low cost.
Faster response and processing.
Fewer unanswered questions.
Better response to open questions.
Disadvantages: Low response rate.
Restricted to online populations.
Confidentiality and anonymity issues.
Aform of questionnaire
Participants record their feelings, perceptions, actions, etc. on a form shortly after they occur.
Participants should be given explicit instructions on how to complete the diary, the time periods
for recording responses, and the types of experiences to be recorded.
Used for quantitative or qualitative research.
‘structured’like a regular questionnaire with closed questions, or ‘free text’experiences written
down without fixed responses, like answers to ‘open’questions.
◦ Structured: at ____ time what exercise have you done/
Advantages over interviews and questionnaires:
◦ Fairly accurate data, re: frequency or time spent on behaviours of interest
◦ Fairly accurate data about sequencing of behaviours
◦ Good for getting data on sensitive matters, e.g., sexual practices
◦ More expensive than personal interviews
◦ Attrition: people may tire of using them Sth 232
Feb 6 2013
◦ Details may not be recorded quickly enough.
◦ Errors, omissions
◦ to say they haven't done it honestly would put their self esteem in danger and thus they may
believe they did honestly
Respondent Problems - Structured Inte