Soc 232 1
February 11 2013
Designing the Questionnaire
• Provide a clear layout and presentation
• Choose vertical or horizontal answers, as appropriate
• Example of vertical choice:
• Example of horizontal choice:
• Identify response sets in a Likert scale.
• Provide clear instructions on how to respond.
– Is more than one response allowed?
– Should the choice of answer be circled? Underlined?
– Keep a question and its answer together on the same page.
• Meant to improve situations
• Interviewer’s presence not as strong
• Presenting people with one or more scenarios and asking them how the
characters in the vignette should respond.
• Anchor the choices in a realistic situation.
• Creates distance between question and respondent.
– Hopefully more candid response.
– Weakness: how people say they would act in a particular situation may
be very different from how they would really act.
– Can provid