SOC 233 Sept 16, 2011
Exploitation: Workers are paid less in wages than the value they produce.
Surplus Value: Social product which is over and above what is required for the producers to live.
“Capital is dead labour, that, vampire like, only lives by sucking living labour, and live the more, the more
labour it sucks” (Marx, Capital: 233).
Communist Manifesto (Marx & Engels)- Capitalism –> Communism -> Socialism
1. Abolition of private property.
2. Heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
3. Abolition of the right of inheritance.
4. Confiscation of property of all emigrants and rebels.
5. Centralization of credit in the hands of the state.
6. Centralization of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the state.
7. Extension of factories and instruments of produce own by state.
8. Equal liability of all to labour.
9. Combo of agriculture with manufacturing industries and more equable distribution of the
population over the country.
10. Free education for children; abolition of children’s factory labour.
Summarizing the Writings of Marx
Social life is based upon “conflicts of interests” between the Bourgeoisie and the Proletariat.
Society is based upon a set of tensions and struggles based upon our class position.
Economic relationship between workers and owners.
Class conflict represents a process whereby change comes about through the opposition of
social classes as they pursue what they see to be their collective interests.
Critique of capitalist society.