Sociology (204)
SOC 233 (31)

Soc 233 Sept 12

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Saskatchewan
SOC 233
Kara Somerville

SOC 233 Sept 12, 2011 Marx – The Voice of the Worker “Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains.” Film: An Age of Revolutions  Understanding of French Revolution; people stood up for equality.  Overthrow the powerful through the masses.  Intellectual environment.  Moved onto Industrial Revolution; capitalism and its influences; wealth created but not evenly distributed.  Harsh working conditions; owners prosper while poor suffer even more.  Working conditions and separate social classes made the marginalized groups “fight.” Karl Marx – 1818-1883  Born in Germany, but lived in France during revolutions.  Middle class.  Collaborated with Engels. His Work:  Historical basis of inequality.  Inequalities can be resolved through social change.  Class conflict between proletariat (i.e., workers) and bourgeoisie (i.e., owners).  Social change is about CONFLICT between opposing interests, driven by economic forces. 1. Capitalism: Economic and political system in which large numbers of workers work to produce commodities for the profit of a few capitalists.  Capitalism mediates social relationships of production; alienation and exploitation.  Economic – Things are being produced that are having a market value; people being paid to produce; system of power which is not equally distributed.  Alienation: Lack of connection with other workers, owners and product produced.  Exploitation: Using one social class (i.e., lower) to gain profit. 2. The Dialectic a. Contradictions between needs and desires of bourgeoisie which contradicts needs of worker; struggles in society; change needs to be implemented through action. b. Theory of Capitalism –The notion of inequality. c. The Dialectical Method – Social values cannot be separated from fact and value.  Values cannot be kept out of our sociological theorizing - Marx suggests we shouldn’t keep them out; our values should guide our theorizing.  Reciprocal Relations – How past shapes present, and how present lays seeds to future.  Structures can restrain and/or enable, but it is only through relationships that we can gain insight.  Changes on one side will have a change
More Less

Related notes for SOC 233

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.