FIRST: Size up the company * read first and last page!
Role: Robert Kanduth, founder and CEO of the company
Request: how to compete and grow? (ie. can they continue to rely on their current tech +
quality advantages under changing circumstances?)
What is GT?
- manufacture flat plate solar thermal collectors for water heating
o types of technology available: flat plate – more durable; ETC – much cheaper
technology, higher maintenance, more likely to break
- strong position in Germany & Austria, UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Baltics, etc. (Has
experience with internationalization!)
- want to get started in the US
- 40% of sales in Germany, 40% in rest of Europe, 20% in the rest of the world (US)
- In business since 1995 (around 20 years)
What do their financials look like?
- 53million Euros per year in revenues
- company revenue is decreasing (dropping 14%) but industry is growing at 15%!!!!!
- he did all the work himself at first…
- focus solely on R&D and production (higher production allowed), outsourced branding,
sales and distribution so high quality at low price!
- durable product (last 40 years)
- manufacturing for volume + flexibility
- seamless supply chain & effective logistics services
Who do they sell to?
- OEM supplier (create stuff sold by another company)
SECOND: List of Issues *flag them as you notice them!
- Chinese manufacturers are copying their product
o china market is getting bigger, cheap Chinese competitors are making knock-offs,