Class Notes (972,892)
CA (572,946)
UW (21,238)
AFM (1,014)
AFM101 (110)
Haihao Lu (23)
Lecture 3

AFM101 Lecture Notes - Fall 2018 Lecture 3 - Cash Cash, Deferral, Retained earnings

by OneClass2524777 , Fall 2018
3 Pages

Department
Accounting & Financial Management
Course Code
AFM101
Professor
Haihao Lu
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
AFM101 Lecture 3 GAAPs, Ethics, Transactions
GAAPs and the Accounting Conceptual Framework:
GAAPs: Generally Accepted Accounting Standards
o A set of regulations that accountants have to follow to ensure their financial information
is accurate and relevant
o IFRS: International Financial Reporting Standards
A standardized set of accounting regulations used by several countries around
the world, excluding the US
Very costly to apply
Canadian public enterprises are required to follow IFRS
o ASPE: Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises:
A set of accounting regulations made specifically for private enterprises
Canadian private enterprises can use either IFRS or ASPE; however, ASPE is
mainly used
Accounting Conceptual Framework: A system that ensures that the reported financial info about
any business entity is useful for internal and external users
o Fundamental Qualitative Characteristics: Requirements to ensure reported financial info
is useful
Relevance: Reported financial info must make an influence on the decision
making of potential users
Faithful Representation: Reported financial info must be complete, unbiased,
and accurate
o Enhancing Qualitative Characteristics: Can impact the degree of usefulness of reported
financial info
Comparability: Reported financial info can be easily compared across time and
with other companies
Verifiability: Reported financial info can be proven complete, accurate, and
reliable
Timeliness: Reported financial info can still influence decision-making for
potential investors (the info hasn’t expired to the point of being useless)
Understandability: Reported financial info can be understandable for potential
users
o Assumptions: Guidelines to follow when reporting financial info
Going Concern: A business will stay running until closure is inevitable
Separate Entity: Personal finances stay separate from business transactions
Historical Cost: Assets must be recorded at their purchase price
Revaluation Model: If a long-term asset’s value has changed significantly
since being purchased, their account balance can be altered once
Stable Monetary Unit: The dollar’s purchasing power remains stable over time

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
AFM101 Lecture 3 GAAPs, Ethics, Transactions GAAPs and the Accounting Conceptual Framework: GAAPs: Generally Accepted Accounting Standards o A set of regulations that accountants have to follow to ensure their financial information is accurate and relevant o IFRS: International Financial Reporting Standards A standardized set of accounting regulations used by several countries around the world, excluding the US Very costly to apply Canadian public enterprises are required to follow IFRS o ASPE: Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises: A set of accounting regulations made specifically for private enterprises Canadian private enterprises can use either IFRS or ASPE; however, ASPE is mainly used Accounting Conceptual Framework: A system that ensures that the reported financial info about any business entity is useful for internal and external users o Fundamental Qualitative Characteristics: Requirements to ensure reported financial info is useful Relevance: Reported financial info must make an influence on the decision making of potential users Faithful Representation: Reported financial info must be complete, unbiased, and accurate o Enhancing Qualitative Characteristics: Can impact the degree of usefulness of reported financial info Comparability: Reported financial info can be easily compared across time and with other companies Verifiability: Reported financial info can be proven complete, accurate, and reliable Timeliness: Reported financial info can still influence decision-making for potential investors (the info hasnt expired to the point of being useless) Understandability: Reported financial info can be understandable for potential users o Assumptions: Guidelines to follow when reporting financial info Going Concern: A business will stay running until closure is inevitable Separate Entity: Personal finances stay separate from business transactions Historical Cost: Assets must be recorded at their purchase price Revaluation Model: If a long-term assets value has changed significantly since being purchased, their account balance can be altered once Stable Monetary Unit: The dollars purchasing power remains stable over time
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit