ANTH 102 Chapter 9: Communication MARCH 4
How do we Communicate?
- “communication is the process of sending and receiving meaningful messages. Among humans it involved
a form of language, a systematic set of symbols and signs with learned meanings”
- Spoken words
- Written words
- Body language (Gestures, clothing, hairstyles)
- Sign languages
- Body language (walking style, eye movements, posture)
- Clothing (head coverings, kimono sleeve length, different colors according to gender)
Phonemes: Sound that makes a difference in spoken language
Ethnosemantics: Meaning of language in particular cultural contexts
- Cross culturally study of communication through media
- Radio, TV, film, music, literature, newspapers, internet
- Who’s interest do the media serve?
- Liberatory or controlling?
- Power, access, effects?
Language, Diversity, Inequality
- Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis: people’s language affects how they think. People who speak different languages
know the world