Biology
Course
BIOL 130
Professor
Barry Mc Clinchey
Semester
Fall

Description
Outline of Lecture 06 Patterning a Simple System I See 5 pages of notes in binder on “Introduction to Patterning” I. Overview - Much of our knowledge of A/P and D/V axis development comes from Drosophila - Proper spatial development is determined by differential gene expression - Different HOX genes are expressed along the A/P axis, and this determines fate of cells in each segment - Interestingly, order of HOX genes in genome is same order of expression II. Anterior/Posterior axis (A/P) - A/P axis is established when embryo is a syncytium - bicoid mRNA localized to anterior pole; nanos mRNA localized to posterior pole - Bicoid and nanos protein form opposing gradients along A/P axis as cells begin to form - Hunchback txn is activated by Bicoid and translation repressed by Nanos; hence, Hunchback has a graded distribution along A/P axis - Kruppel, knirps, and giant genes are have different thresholds for repression by Hunchback; hence Hb sets the anterior boundary for their expression
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 130

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit