Lecture 13 Summary.docx

3 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOL 354
Professor
Bruce Greenberg

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
BIOL354Environmental Toxicology I Spring 2012Lecture 13Biochemical and Physiological Effects of ChemicalsPart I Inorganic PollutantsTypes of EffectsToxic effects begins during interactions between toxicantsbiomolecules Negative effects o Narcosis Membrane damage o Biochemical toxicity Enzyme inhibition Ribosome no protein DNAP no DNA synthesis o ROS Oxidative stress through radical production o Endocrine toxicity Mimic hormones o Genotoxicity Mutation InitiateStop replication Cancerogenic ProtectivePositive effectstoxicity through adaptation o Detoxification Defense against chemical DegradationExcretion Multicellular organisms o Acclimation Defense against effects of chemical Defense responsesVariable effectsDepending on the organism chemical dosemodifying factorsNegative and Positive Effects of Contaminants on a Chemical Class BasisNegative Impacts of Metals o Dose dependent All metals are toxic in excess o Metal dependent Metabolic vs nonmetabolic valencies mono M di M mechanisms of actiondifferent toxicity levels class A vs class B o Environment dependent chelation Soil Bioavailability vs Aquatic BioavailabilityClasses of Metals o Metabolism Relevant Essential Fe Ca Zn Se Cu Co Mg MnNonessential Pb Cd Ti Hg NiSilver
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit