Art of the Pitch
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:24 AM
- Prepare you for Individual Pitch assignment
○ In labs the week of February 4th
- Improveindividual presentation skills
- Set you up for success in real world because…
- EVERYTHING IS A PRESENTATION
Contents for investor funding
○ Pain statement
Demonstrateneed product will address
Why there is need to your product
○ Gain statement
Demonstratevalue proposition and competitiveadvantage - how your product solves the pain
○ WIIFM - what is in it for me?
Demonstratewhy idea is worth investorgiving more time to listen
Theses elements must be presented clearly and concisely
Logical structure is essential
• It's a conversation(not speech), only you're doing most of talking (person needs to feel that you are
talking to them)
• Be yourself - nothing morepowerful
• Know your stuff (memorize=> stiff and unnatural)
• Make it personal - make an emotionalconnection
People rememberhow you made them feel
- Opening - start with bang
• Make bold claim
"In 5 years this industry will not exist as we know it."
• Invite them to imagine
"imagine a company where everyoneis one integrated team.."
• Present a striking fact or statistic
"25,000people die every day of hunger or hunger-related causes."
• Ask a question
"How many of you have used the internet today?"
• Tell a brief story or anecdote
Must be relevant
• Use an aphorism or proverb
"He who hesitates is lost. Therefore we much act now." "He who hesitates is lost. Therefore we much act now."
• Make it mysterious - very risky => don't get point of your presentation
Give them ambiguous clues before making your point (risky)
• Introduce an analogy of metaphor
"Customersare like plants in a garden. If you nurture them they'll grow, and if you don't they'll
• Start with a quote
"quality is rememberedlong after the price is forgotten"Gucci family slogan
"I don't think of you as a supplier, I think of you as part of my team - that's what a c