Computer Science
Course
CS 245
Professor
Nancy Day
Semester
Fall

Description
CS 245 Winter 2009 Assignment 1 Due: Thu 22 Jan 2009 10am in the CS245 Drop Boxes 27 marks SOLUTION SET There are multiple correct answers to some of these questions. 1. (9 marks) Express each of the following sentences as a formula in propositional logic. For each proposition letter you use, be sure to state the English phrase it represents. (a) The class was held although the weather was warm. h ∧ w where • h – the class was held • w – the weather was warm (b) It rains when it is not winter. ¬w ⇒ r where • r – it rains • w – it is winter 1 (c) I will go grocery shopping exactly if it is not snowing and I have money. g ⇔ ¬s ∧ m where • g – I will go grocery shopping • s – it is snowing • m – I have money 2. (6 marks) For the following¬(b ⇒ a),b ∨ c ⊢ c (a) (4 marks) Do the premises logically imply the conclusion? Explain your response and demonstrate that your response is correct using the semantics of propositional logic. No, the premises do not logically imply the conclusion. The following Boolean valuation, v, is a counterexample where the premises are T and the conclusion is F. v(a) = F,v(b) = T,v(c) = F Demonstration: Premise 1: v(¬(b ⇒ a)) = NOT (v(b) IMP v(a))
More Less

Related notes for CS 245

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit