Computer Science
Course
CS 341
Professor
Forbes Burkowski
Semester
Fall

Description
Dynamic Programming Dynamic programming was invented by Richard Bellman in the early 1950s while he worked for the RAND corporation on multistage decision processes. Originsof the term Dynamic Programming (1950): What title, what name, could I choose? In the first place I was interested in planning, in decision making, in thinking. But planning, is not a good word for various reasons. I decided therefore to use the word, programming. I wanted to get across the idea that this was dynamic, this was multistage, this was time-varyingI thought, lets kill two birds with one stone. Lets take a word that has an absolutely precise meaning, namely adjective, and that is its impossible to use the word, dynamic, in a pejorative sense. Try thinking of some combination that will possibly give it a pejorative meaning. Its impossible. Thus, I thought dynamic programming was a good name. It was something not even a Congressman could object to. Dynamic Programming Overview Dynamic programming solves optimization problems. The overall strategy underlying the algorithm is that the given problem can be solved by first solving smaller subproblems that have the same structure. Two features characterize these subproblems: 1.Unlike the divide-and-conquer algorithm, which relies on subproblems being independent, dynamic programming handles problems that have overlapping subproblems. 2.We can apply a recursive strategy: We find an optimal solution of each subproblem by first finding optimal solutions for its contained subproblems. 1 Coins Again We are given an unlimited number of coins of various denominations: d , d , 1, d2. m We have the same objective as before: Pay out a given sum S with the smallest number of coins possible. The denomination system presents us with three possibilities: The d values are such that a greedy strategy can pay i out the sum S in an optimal fashion. The d values are such that a greedy strategy cannot i pay out the sum S in an optimal fashion although such an optimal payout does exist. The d values are such that no strategy can pay out the i amount S. (Trivialexample: m = 1,id = 2 cent coin and S is an odd amount). A Recursive Strategy for the Coin Problem Find an algorithm that produces an optimal solution for any denomination system or an indication that no solution exists. Notation: Let coins[i] be the smallest number of coins required to pay out the sum i. Weassume coins[i] will be undetermined if no solution exists. Note that coins[0] = 0 (no coins needed). Idea behind the solution: Sequentially try all possibilities for the first coin paid out. If the coin paid outiis d, we now recursively solve the change problem for S- i. So, we can solve the problem recursivelybut with the added constraint the we always ask for the minimumcoin number. 2 A Recursive Strategy for the Coin Problem These considerations lead to the following recursion: coins[i] = 1+ min{coins[i d ]}. j dji This recursion will be at the heart of our dynamic programming algorithm. There are two approaches that can be used in working with this recursion: 1. Wecan insist that the recursion defines a recursive function that simply calls itself to get the optimal values associated with the smaller problems. (This is not dynamic programming). OR 2. Wecan consider coins to be an array that stores the optimal valuesassociated with the smaller problems. Just to eliminate it from any further discussion, we start by showing that the first approach is extremely bad! A Recursive Function for the Coin Problem We start with: coins[i] = 1 + mdj iins[i d ]}.j Recalling that recursive calls were used in divide and conquer we go for the following implementation: D&C for CP Pseudo-code 1: function coins(i): if (i=0) then return 0; // base case // recursion: min:=infinity; // Use a very large number here for j:=0 to m do if (d[j] <= i) then smaller_sol := coins(i - d[j]); if smaller_sol < min then min := smaller_sol; return 1 + min; The main program calls coins(S). 3 A Recursive Strategy for the Coin Problem Analysis: The execution time is exponential in S. Consider the recursion tree for the calling of coins(S) with denominations 1 and 2. T(S) = T(S-1) + T(S-2) n is the bit length of the input. Execution time: Execution time is S 2 1+ 5 1+ 5 hyper-exponential = with respect to the input 2 2 bit length! Why is this? Observe that many of the recursive calls are redundant. For example, coins(2) is called several times. Dynamic Programming Solution Recursive calls worked for divideand conquer because the same subproblems did not reappear in several areas of the recursion tree. Here is a better way to use the recursion formula: Consider pseudo-code 2: NOTE: coins[ ] is now an array. coins[0] := 0; for i := 1 to S do // Do minimal payout for all values < S. min := infinity; for j := 1 to m do if d[j] <= i and coins[i - d[j]] < min then min := coins[i - d[j]]; coins[i] := 1 + min; return coins[S]; 4
More Less

Related notes for CS 341

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit