7. Incomes and Growth Rates Around the World.docx

4 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECON102
Professor
Maryann Vaughan

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Incomes and Growth Rates Around the World
January-21-13
3:13 PM
Great variation in both growth rates and standards of living around the world
Poor countries are not necessarily doomes to poverty forever.
o Singapore - incomes low in the 1960s and are high now
Rich countries may be overtaken by poorer but faster growing countries
Productivity
January-21-13
3:25 PM
A country's standard of living depends on its ability to produce goods and services
This ability depends on productivity
o Th eaverage quantity of goods and services produced from each hour of a worker's time
Y = real GDP = quantity of output produced
L = quantity of labour
Y/L = productivity (output per worker)
A nation with productive workers has a large real GDP and incomes are high
When productivitiy grows rapidly, so do living standards
Physical Capital Per Worker
Equipment and strucures used to produce g&s is called physical capital (K)
K/L = Capital per worker
Productivity is higher when the average worker has more capital
i.e. an increase in K/L causes an increse in Y/L
Labour's productivity is further enhanced if it works with modern and sophisticated equipment
Human Capital Per Worker
Human Capital (H):
o The knowledge and skills workers aquire through education, training, experience
o H/L = the avverage worker's human capital
o Productivity is higher when the average worker has more human capital
o An increase in H/L causes an increase in Y/L
o The size and skill of the labour force will affect the total output.
o Workers who are healthy, happy and educated are faster and more efficient than those who
are malnourished, dispirited and illiterate
Natural Resources per Worker
Natural resources (N)
o The inputs into production that nature provides, e.g. land, mineral deposits
Other things equal, more N allows a country to produce more Y. in per worker terms, an increase
in N/L causes an increase in Y/L
Some countries are rich because they have abundant resources ( Saudi Arabia has lots of Oil)
But countries need not have much N to be rich (e.g. Japan imports the N it needs)
e.g.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Incomes and Growth Rates Around the World January-21-13 3:13 PM Great variation in both growth rates and standards of living around the world  Poor countries are not necessarily doomes to poverty forever. o Singapore - incomes low in the 1960s and are high now  Rich countries may be overtaken by poorer but faster growing countries Productivity January-21-13 3:25 PM  A country's standard of living depends on its ability to produce goods and services  This ability depends on productivity o Th eaverage quantity of goods and services produced from each hour of a worker's time  Y = real GDP = quantity of output produced  L = quantity of labour  Y/L = productivity (output per worker)  A nation with productive workers has a large real GDP and incomes are high  When productivitiy grows rapidly, so do living standards Physical Capital Per Worker  Equipment and strucures used to produce g&s is called physical capital (K)  K/L = Capital per worker  Productivity is higher when the average worker has more capital  i.e. an increase in K/L causes an increse in Y/L  Labour's productivity is further enhanced if it works with modern and sophisticated equipment Human Capital Per Worker  Human Capital (H): o The knowledge and skills workers aquire through education, training, experience o H/L = the avverage worker's human capital o Productivity is higher when the average worker has more human capital o An increase in H/L causes an increase in Y/L o The size and skill of the labour force will affect the total output. o Workers who are healthy, happy and educated are faster and more efficient than those who are malnourished, dispirited and illiterate Natural Resources per Worker  Natural resources (N) o The inputs into production that nature provides, e.g. land, mineral deposits  Other things equal, more N allows a country to produce more Y. in per worker terms, an increase in N/L causes an increase in Y/L  Some countries are rich because they have abundant resources ( Saudi Arabia has lots of Oil)  But countries need not have much N to be rich (e.g. Japan imports the N it needs)  e.g. o Fertile land o Navigable waterways o Extractable metals and ores o Abundant energy sources Technological Knowledge  Society's understanding of the best ways to produce g&s  Technological progress does not only mean a faster computer, a higher definition tv, or a smaller phone It means any advance in knowledge that boosts productivity ( allows more output from resources  o The assembaly line Production January-21-13 3:45 PM The production Function  Graph showing the relation between outputs and inputs  ( )  A is level of tech  Function has constant returns to scale: o Changing all inputs by same percentage causes putput to change by that percentage  ( )  Economists use the production function to describe the relationship between the quantity of inputs and the quantity of outputs used in production  Y=f(K,L) o Some level of tech exists Public Policy January-23-13 3:03 PM Public Policy  Real factors o Physical capital o Human capital o Natural resources o Technology  Important to public policies created by government Saving and Investment  We can boost productivity by increasing K which requires investment  Since resources are scarce, producing more capital requires producing fewer consumption goods  Reducing consumption = increasing saving o Extra saving funds th eproduction of investment goods o Trade off between current and future consumption Diminishimg Returns and the Catch-up effect  Th
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit