Economics (969)
ECON 102 (212)

5. GDP.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
ECON 102
Maryann Vaughan

GDP January-14-13 2:27 PM GDP: total income of the owners of the factors of production in an economy.  Also measures the total expenditure on the economy's goods and services  Income = Expenditure The Circular- Flow Diagram  Illustrates the macroeconomy Diagram omits:  Government o Taxes o Gov spending  Financial system o savings  The foreign sector o Trade g&s  Describes transactons between households and firms  Top half o Firms and households are bought together to exchange final goods and services  Bottom half o The rolse of the firms and the households are reversed in the factor markets GDP is… … the market value of all final goods and services produced within a country in a given period of time. Market value:  all goods measured in same unit at their market price Final goods and services:  intended for end user  Intermediate goods: used as components of other goods  GDP only includes final goods - they include the value of the intermediate goods used in their production. Goods and Services:  Tangible - bikes, beer  Intangible - haircuts, concerts Produced:  Currently produced and not from the past. Within a Country  Value of production that occurs within a country's borders. o Can be done by foreigners or nationals o GNP is based on production by nationaly owned resources o Canadian companies producing in another country do not add to the canadian GDP In a given period of time  Usually a quarter or 3 months  Annualized GDP o e.g per quarter 0.8%  Multiply by 4  Annualized GDP is 3.3% Components of the GDP  GDP is total expenditure  4 components 1. Consumption (C) 2. Investment (I) 3. Government purchases (G) 4. Net Exports (NX)  GDP = Y  Y = C + I + G + NX  NX = (Exports - Imports) Consumption (C)  Total household expenditure by households  Housing costs o Renters, consumption includes rent payments o Homeowners, the imputed rental value of the house, not mortgage payments or purchase price Investment (I)  Total spending on goods that will be used in the future to produce more goods.  Includes spending on o Capital equipment (machinery) o Structures (factories, new houses, etc)  Housing provides an ongoing service  Becomes part of the capital stock of the economy o Inventories (goods produced but not sold)
More Less

Related notes for ECON 102

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.