Class Notes (905,672)
CA (538,502)
UW (19,379)
ENGL (379)
ENGL104 (17)
Lecture

Introduction to Rhetorical Criticism Lecture and textbook notes (Chapter 1) convering rhetoric and it's three basic principles, types of signs, and rhetorical criticism and it's three basic principles.

3 Pages

Department
English
Course Code
ENGL104
Professor
Michael Hancock

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Introduction to Rhetorical Criticism
January-07-11
10:43 AM
Rhetoric
The human use of symbols to communicate. Includes three primary dimensions
Humans as creators of rhetoric
Symbols as medium for rhetoric
Communication as purpose for rhetoric
1. Humans as creators
o Rhetoric involves symbols created and used by humans
o Every symbolic choice we make results in seeing the world one way rather than another.
Reality is subjective based on how we interpret symbols.
o Symbols frame experience of an event
o Rhetoric is limited to human rhetors as the originators and creators of messages
Symbols as medium for rhetoric
o Sign, Signified and Signifier:
Sign is the whole that results from the association between the signified and the
signifier, the abstract concept and the material concept.
Signs can be words, images, sounds, odours, flavours, acts or objects
The material signifier can be a written word, a spoken word, a shrug, and notebook, a
laptop, the smell of bacon. The resulting mental picture is the signified and both
combined are the sign. Word "cat" us the signifier, the image of a cat is the signified,
both together are the sign for cat.
The abstract signified is the abstract mental concept of the material signifier (what
you think when you hear or read a certain word)
o Symbol is something that stands for or represents something else by virtue of relationship,
association or convention
o Distinguished from signs by degree of direct connection to object represented. Smoke is a
sign fire is present, meaning there is a direct relationship between fire and smoke. Symbols
are human constructions connected only indirectly to it's referent. Ex. The word cup has no
natural relationship to open containers for beverages and was created by a person who
wanted to refer to this kind of object.
o Only conscious use of symbols to communicate a particular idea is rhetorical.
o Actions not deliberately constructed by rhetors can also be interpreted symbolically.
Someone can choose to give an action a symbol, interpreting the meaning differently than
it was intended
o Any action, intended to communicate or not, can be interpreted rhetorically by those who
experience or encounter it
o Not limited to written or spoken discourse; includes tv, architecture, dance, furniture,
automobiles etc
o Types of Signs:
Index: type of sign that functions through direct association: the signifier
(material concept) is not arbitrary, but directly connected to the signified (abstract
concept)
An index is a sign that points to or indicated something else caused by
association

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Introduction to Rhetorical Criticism January-07-11 10:43 AM Rhetoric  The human use of symbols to communicate. Includes three primary dimensions Humans as creators of rhetoric Symbols as medium for rhetoric Communication as purpose for rhetoric 1. Humans as creators o Rhetoric involves symbols created and used by humans o Every symbolic choice we make results in seeing the world one way rather than another. Reality is subjective based on how we interpret symbols. o Symbols frame experience of an event o Rhetoric is limited to human rhetors as the originators and creators of messages Symbols as medium for rhetoric o Sign, Signified and Signifier:  Sign is the whole that results from the association between the signified and the signifier, the abstract concept and the material concept.  Signs can be words, images, sounds, odours, flavours, acts or objects  The material signifier can be a written word, a spoken word, a shrug, and notebook, a laptop, the smell of bacon. The resulting mental picture is the signified and both combined are the sign. Word "cat" us the signifier, the image of a cat is the signified, both together are the sign for cat.  The abstract signified is the abstract mental concept of the material signifier (what you think when you hear or read a certain word) o Symbol is something that stands for or represents something else by virtue of relationship, association or convention o Distinguished from signs by degree of direct connection to object represented. Smoke is a sign fire is present, meaning there is a direct relationship between fire and smoke. Symbols are human constructions connected only indirectly to it's referent. Ex. The word cup has no natural relationship to open containers for beverages and was created by a person who wanted to refer to this kind of object. o Only conscious use of symbols to communicate a particular idea is rhetorical. o Actions not deliberately constructed by rhetors can also be interpreted symbolically. Someone can choose to give an action a symbol, interpreting the meaning differently than it was intended o Any action, intended to communicate or not, can be interpreted rhetorically by those who experience or encounter it o Not limited to written or spoken discourse; includes tv, architecture, dance, furniture, automobiles etc o Types of Signs: Index: type of sign that functions through direct association: the signifier (material concept) is not arbitrary, but directly connected to the signified (abstract concept)  An index is a sign that points to or indicated something else caused by association  Smoke is indexical of fire; see smoke, think fire  Indexical meaning depends on the group...  "that" "this" "here" "there"; thunder, footprints, echoes, odours; clock, thermometer; pain, rash; Bert is an index of Ernie; catchphrases Icon: type of sign that functions through resemblance; signifier looks like or resembles the signified in some form.  Resemblance usually involves some sensory perception. The signifier recognizably...  Photos, caricatures, impersonation, models, metaphor, onomatopoeia(word resembles the sound, word is the icon); anything that stands in for a person can be thought of as in icon 3. Symbol: type of sign that functions through an arbitrary relationship - there is no "natural" reason for the connection. The signifier does not resemble the signified, but is connected only by convention and must be learned.  Symbolic meanings
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit