History
Course
HIST 110
Professor
David Schweitzer
Semester
Fall

Description
Day 2 A History of the Western World I Lecture I: The Beginning Ancient history: History and Prehistory Prehistory o Period before the discovery of writing C. 3500 B.C.E in Ancient Mesopotamia. o Archaeological and Anthropological Evidence The appearance of Man: Human Evolution o The Pongid (ape-like) and Hominid (man-like) split. Roughly 6-8 million years ago o Homo Sapiens, the thinking man appeared roughly 4 million years ago o Fossils of Australopithecus Afarensis (southern ape man). It stood upright o It is the ancestor of Modern man The First Humans o Richard Leaky found LUCY in Kenya (1872), aged 2 million years ago o Homo habilis (“handy person”) o Homo erectus 1.5 million years ago From Nature to History o 4 ice ages happened, Homo sapiens appears at end of last ice age o Cro-Magonon man (France) o Neanderthal Man (Germany) Spread of Homo Sapiens Old and New Paleolithic Ages - Paleolithic Age (Old Stone Age) o From 2 million B.C.E to 10,000 B.C.E o Early Paleolithic peoples foraged, hunted and gathered o Led to living in small groups, 20-50 people - Later Paleolithic Age o 30k BCE to 10k BCE, used new tools, more complicated, tools advanced o Used caves as shelter o Naturalistic Cave Paintings/drawings The Neolithic Age - Agricultural Revolution o Animals became domesticated (10K BCE – 6k BCE) animals adapted for human use, DOG o Grasses were cultivated (farmed) Wheat/barley - Economic and Social Character o Increased population, more food o Children become useful as
More Less

Related notes for HIST 110

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit