Lecture 1.docx

4 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 205
Professor
David Schweitzer

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
LECTURE ONE: The Athletic Imperative (the reasons for sport in the west) Why would people in fur back in the 1900 compete in sports early in life… ­­This is called primary or fundamental imperatives, Secondary reason▯ Influences on traditional sports: vocation, war, religion, entertainment   Psychologists: Sigmund Freud, B.F. Skinner and Abraham Maslow) Maslow concluded everyone has the capacity to some athletic ability in his life (i.e. baby  crawling) • Joy of movementp ▯ eople do things for the rush for the exitiment Competition • Rivalry of history • Zoologist: Bernd Heinrich, ancient pictograph in Zimbabwe  • Worlds oldest piece of literature The Epic of Gilgamesh (leader)  originated in Babylonia c 2300 B .C.E • Earliest example of sportsmanship • In the Babylonian month there was a month called Gilgamesh and that’s  when the sports were held Ancient Egypt • Pharaoh Amenhotep II ▯ king of society  Ancient Greece • King Oinamos & daughter Hippodameia(stunner) whoever wanted to try for  his daughter would get on a chariot…………..insert more infor  then there is a  character named …..he decides he is going to win but he has methods he goes to  chariot and says I will let you spend a night with my bride then he takes the brass  pins out of the axles and then makes wax stuff then it works the…but the  charioteer doesn’t allow him to sleep with his wife he goes to a cliff and pushes  him off • This shows you must have brains and brine…”””brine??””” • Homer at end The Odyssey(760 B.C.E.) & Odysseus & wife.  Penelope(rumour was homer was dead Secondary Influences • Vocation (e.g. hunting) • First sport was probably running • First recorded event from the ancient Olympic Games in 776 B.C.E. was a sprint  • Most famous still current long­distance race, the marathon Target shooting  • E.g. tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamen (1348­1340 B.C.E.) • E.g. legendary Robin Hood & William Tell  American frontier • Trappers & cowboys  • Professional rodeo 1880s (William F. Cody wild west shows from 1882) Warfare • Ancient Olympic games javelin throwing  • Greeks included wrestling, running, jumping, discus throwing, javelin,  throwing (Egypt Africa and India) boxing, chari
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit