JS 203 (4)

Response to the Holocaust: Unit 6.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Jewish Studies
JS 203
Dr.Wayne Allen

Shame and Guilt Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:07 PM  The experience of the grandparents have had a significant affect on the next generations (children, grandchildren) o Their family have not been spared o Children of survivors have grown up with psychological issues and even severe mental issues o Does it ever stop??  Does it dilute over time?  What is shame?? o Feelings of unworthiness; inferiority; a feeling of profound inadequate and is usually accompanies by a belief of unworthiness which is also self destructive o Shame can be useful; it is a bad thing to have.. But it isnt a bad thing to use  Can be used as a vehicle for obedience or complying  e.g. Amish: if someone does something against the rules, they are called out and shamed therefore stopping others from not complying o Not just a human reaction but it can actually have some value when applied in society o An abiding shame could lead to destructive self hatred  What is guilt?? o Anger directed inward; rather than being angry at people around you, you turn it on yourself o Unlike shame, guilt can be corrected o Sometimes guilt can evolve into shame Survivor Guilt  Address the question not of "why me" BUT of "why not me" o Everyone is dead.. Why not me; my family got torcherd... Why not me o e.g. War veteran: why did everyone die but me?  Why do they do this?? o In the same situations, there are different outcomes; the survival of one is construed at the expense of another o Telling someone not to feel guilty is like telling someone not to be hot or cold because guilt is a FEELING  The fact that people feel guilty CAN a good thing o Address hopelessness and powerlessness o Strengthens the connection with the dead o Motives the fact that they have to do something about it... Could be kindness o The sense of powerlessness can empower you to do something else
More Less

Related notes for JS 203

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.