KIN352 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Institutional Racism, Population Ageing, Visible Minority

63 views5 pages

Document Summary

Both: ethnogerontology is a new field and still needs more research. Social construction race: berger and luckmann (1966) social construction of reality, objectification, social institutions, production of meaning, constructing race and ethnicity, physical and biological differences, cultural differences and assumptions. Institutional racism - discriminatory racial practices built into institutions (political, economic, health, education) I can arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time. I can be pretty sure that wherever i move my neighbors will be neutral or pleasant to me. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co- workers suspect that i got it because of my race. I can turn on the tv and see people of my race widely represented. I can easily buy posters, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, and toys featuring people of my race. Intersectionality: race, gender, class, religion, age, sexual orientation.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers