Unit 1: Basics of Law Week 1B September 12, 2013
INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW:
PERSPECTIVES OF LAW
Question for consideration: “Why do we obey the law?”
Legal Studies …has a long history and is interdisciplinary
Today we answer the questions:
o How has Legal Studies emerged and evolved?
o How is it different from a “law school” approach?
Put the who, what, when, where, why and how of Legal Studies to the test
Tell the “story” of Legal Studies with an example
Introduction and Overview
Government of Quebecc’s proposed changes to its Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms
o Bill will be introduced this fall
o Consists of five main proposals
1. Amend the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms
2. Establish a duty of neutrality and reserve for all state personnel
3. Limit the wearing of conspicuous religious symbols
4. Make it mandatory to have one’s face uncovered when providing or receiving a state service
5. Establish an implementation policy for state organizations
Natural Law Theory
o Two pillars:
A Divine law – created by God
A universal moral code
o Is the proposed law unjust?
Does the Example reflect Divine command?
Does the Example reflect human nature?
o “Must you obey an unjust law?” –