Legal Studies
Course
LS 101
Professor
Susan Brophy
Semester
Fall

Description
Unit III: Major Debates in Legal Studies Week 9A November 5, 2013 Who/What is a “Legal Person”? Overview Person as a metaphor  No one particular, or true definition of “legal person”  Lack of clarity can be useful o Allows judges to exercise discretion  Expand or limit idea of “person” depending on desired outcome o Category of person can be manipulated  Met-a-phor o A figure of speech in which a name or descriptive word or phrase is transferred to an object or action different from, but analogous to, that to which it is literally applicable  Biological link cannot be assumed  Legal person does not need to be a human o Person as a metaphor, not literal expression  In defining “legal person”, we can define the scope of law Law’s expressive function  “legal person” is the object of legal power  Law constructs the object of its power  In doing so, law expresses norms and values to society” (p. 1745)  This function shapes behaviour; reflects social ideals  Problems with law’s expressive power: o Subject to interpretation o No always “provable” o Mixed and contradictory o Evolving and changing  Proof: through law’s expressive power, “person” becomes a “legal fiction” Legal fiction What is legal fiction?  Legal construct; does not exist in nature  Contestable o Prone to contradiction (i.e. slaves) o Subject to interpretation (i.e. corporations)  Legal fiction arises as the product of judicial failings o They do not consider philosophical arguments o Apply theories of law inconsistently Unit III: Major Debates in Legal Studies Week 9A November 5,
More Less

Related notes for LS 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit