LS327 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Rcmp Security Service, Knapp Commission, Canadian Security Intelligence Service

185 views7 pages

Document Summary

Module 7 patterns and theories of police deviance. Deviance: the violation of norm (formal: laws/regulations or informal: traditions/expectations) Police deviance: focus on violations of formal norms (rules/regulations and laws) Police regulated by criminal code, civil law, quasi criminal statues, police services act of ontario, rcmp act (for rcmp) Administrative (i. e. they are expected to wear their hats on duty) Can face criminal and police act charges (for serious types of deviance) Ccc deals with more serious police offences but police act violations also contain severe sanctions. Police can also face less sever sanctions (deducted salary/ or even fired) Police sub-culture: informal norms that they have to follow (but not being discussed as deviant activity) (i. e. snitching on fellow cops. This type of deviance has history in canada: corruption: police use their office to try to get some personal benefit or gain (i. e. financial, sexual favours) Relatively uncommon in canada but very common in other countries: police corruption in other countries:

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers