Mathematics
Course
MATH 137
Professor
Conrad Hewitt
Semester
Fall

Description
Math137 Lecture Notes Erin Edward Introduction: A course in single real variables using the universal set of R (real numbers) *also sets of 𝐑 and 𝑹 *𝟑 x R where x is the number of variables How do we provide a function?  Verbally – in words  Numerically – set of values  Visually – graph  Algebraically – formula Visually and algebraically are the most useful Functions: Subsets of R: We will have a function, F: A→B, where the components are elements of R (real numbers), making the function a subset of R Ex: Let a, b ER a output (y) REMARK: Vertical line test A curve is a function if all vertical lines intersect the curve at most once Reason – the function is single valued If not a functions, split the curve into two parts to work with (restrict the range) OR switch the x and y values (the inverse) Ex: y=G(x) X=G(y) INCREASING AND DECREASING FUNCTIONS Math137 Lecture Notes Erin Edward Ex: F: I→B We say that: 1. F is increasing on I to mean that F(x )>F(x 1 for 2ll x , x E1 wi2h x >x 1 2 2. F is non-decreasing on I to mean that F(x )≥F(x ) 1or all2x , x EI w1th 2 >x
More Less

Related notes for MATH 137

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit