Music (194)
MUSIC 140 (143)
Simon Wood (143)

Music 140 - Nov 12 - Soul to Funk

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Simon Wood

November 12, 2013 Music 140 Music 140 Lecture 10 · The Beatles / The Rolling Stones o The Beatles show product/object orientation, like western culture music · Beatles could not achieve what they wanted live, ended up settling in the studio o The Rolling Stones are process oriented, focus on the moment, like used to be defined by African culture o The lines aren't really divided by race any more · Other important bands o The Yardbirds (Blues Influence) · Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page all members at different points · The New Yardbirds (Page and others, becomes Led Zeppelin) o The Who (The Mods / Art influence) · Pete Townsend · My Generation (1965) · The Mods - Modernists, image as trendy and fashionable, thin, lots of dancing, amphetamines to keep them going, a side effect was stuttering, reference to it in My Generation by stuttering · Art stuff, smashing guitar arguably symbolic of sanctifying the performance and the experience Soul to Funk · Development connected to the Civil Rights movement and the development of Africa-American identity · Late 1950s, growing anticipation of civil rights · Rejection of blues as the sound of the past, rural south, slavery · New sounds of urban - Soul Music · Fusion of: o 1/ Vocal Style from Gospel o 2/ Rhythm and back beat of R&B o 3/ Arrangements and lyric styles from TPA · Important locations for soul music o 1/ Motown - Detroit o 2/ Stax - Memphis o 3/ Fame - Muscle shoal
More Less

Related notes for MUSIC 140

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.