Lecture 10 Approaches to Nonviolent Action.pdf

4 Pages

Department
Peace and Conflict Studies
Course Code
PACS201
Professor
Nathan Funk

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture'10*'Approaches'to'Nonviolent'Action'
10a)'Nonviolence'as'a'Political'Strategy'
How$Nonviolent$Action$Works:$
Refer$to$Diagram$
Mechanisms$of$Change:$
Conversion<$change$opponents$minds$and$the$way$they$think$and$feel$about$
an$issue<$this$is$key$for$social$change$such$as$civil$rights$in$order$for$society$
to$accept$it$and$start$acting$in$more$just$equal$ways$
Accommodation<$opponents$making$concessions$because$the$basic$cause$
benefit$will$be$in$their$favor<$eg.$We’ll$let$them$set$up$a$political$party$etc.$but$
we$will$not$give$them$everything$
Nonviolent$coercion<$adversary$must$bend$even$if$he$or$she$does$not$wish$to$
Disintegration<$extreme$end$of$coercion$
Some$Proposed$Criteria$for$Success:$
People<$must$be$enough$people$who$share$the$same$values$and$ideas$for$
change$to$happen.$Must$happen$at$the$grass$roots$level$
Will/commitment<$there$is$people$who$sympathize$but$do$these$people$
really$care$and$willing$to$lose$costs.$If$there$is$no$willingness$then$the$cause$
will$not$go$very$far$
Strategy/'Leadership<know$your$people$very$well$and$know$what$they$are$
willing$to$do$and$not$do.$Know$your$adversaries$very$well$as$well.$Have$to$
have$flexibility$and$things$will$happen$that$are$unexpected$and$there$needs$
to$be$consistent$strategic$plan.$Leadership$does$not$have$to$be$charismatic$
but$it$is$necessary$
Training<$discipline$and$prepare$for$change$
Realizable'objectives<$smaller$objectives$on$the$way$to$bigger$objectives$
Nonviolent'discipline<$need$to$make$this$clear$or$strategy$can$be$tarnished$
and$done$away$with$
10b)'Personal'Aspects'of'Nonviolence'
“An$eye$for$an$eye$will$make$the$whole$world$blind”$
Leaders$are$usually$more$philosophical$in$areas$of$violence$and$reasons$of$
being$in$the$world$etc$
Nonviolence$as$a$Way$of$Life:$
Non<injury$(“ahimsa”,$“nonresistance”)$
Love$of$enemy<$or$refusal$to$use$the$word$“enemy”$instead$using$opponent$
Self<suffering<$turn$the$other$cheek$in$an$assertive$active$way$

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture  10-­  Approaches  to  Nonviolent  Action   10a)  Nonviolence  as  a  Political  Strategy   How  Nonviolent  Action  Works:   • Refer  to  Diagram   Mechanisms  of  Change:   • Conversion-­‐  change  opponents  minds  and  the  way  they  think  and  feel  about   an  issue-­‐  this  is  key  for  social  change  such  as  civil  rights  in  order  for  society   to  accept  it  and  start  acting  in  more  just  equal  ways   • Accommodation-­‐  opponents  making  concessions  because  the  basic  cause   benefit  will  be  in  their  favor-­‐  eg.  We’ll  let  them  set  up  a  political  party  etc.  but   we  will  not  give  them  everything   • Nonviolent  coercion-­‐  adversary  must  bend  even  if  he  or  she  does  not  wish  to   • Disintegration-­‐  extreme  end  of  coercion   Some  Proposed  Criteria  for  Success:   • People-­‐  must  be  enough  people  who  share  the  same  values  and  ideas  for   change  to  happen.  Must  happen  at  the  grass  roots  level   • Will/commitment-­‐  there  is  people  who  sympathize  but  do  these  people   really  care  and  willing  to  lose  costs.  If  there  is  no  willingness  then  the  cause   will  not  go  very  far   • Strategy/  Leadership-­‐know  your  people  very  well  and  know  what  they  are   willing  to  do  and  not  do.  Know  your  adversaries  very  well  as  well.  Have  to   have  flexibility  and  things  will  happen  that  are  unexpected  and  there  needs   to  be  consistent  strategic  plan.  Leadership  does  not  have  to  be  charismatic   but  it  is  necessary   • Training-­‐  discipline  and  prepare  for  change   • Realizable  objectives-­‐  smaller  objectives  on  the  way  to  bigger  objectives   • Nonviolent  discipline-­‐  need  to  make  this  clear  or  strategy  can  be  tarnished   and  done  away  with   10b)  Personal  Aspects  of  Nonviolence   “An  eye  for  an  eye  will  make  the  whole  world  blind”   • Leaders  are  usually  more  philosophical  in  areas  of  violence  and  reasons  of   being  in  the  world  etc   Nonviolence  as  a  Way  of  Life:   • Non-­‐injury  (“ahimsa”,  “nonresistance”)   • Love  of  enemy-­‐  or  refusal  to  use  the  word  “enemy”  instead  using  opponent   • Self-­‐suffering-­‐  turn  the  other  cheek  in  an  assertive  active  way   • Commitment  to  truth-­‐  focus  on  the  message  an  not  movements  that  distract   from  it   • Involvement  with  grassroots  people-­‐  spiritual  dimensions  beyond  rage  or   fear   10c)  Peace  movements   • Semaphore  signals-­‐  peace  sign-­‐  “N”  (nuclear)  +  “D”  (disarmament)   Challenging  the  Logic  of  Violence:   • Systemic  Violence:  appears  routine  and  even  logical  from  the  inside  but  not   from  the  outside   • Militarism:  Violence  as  a  cultural,  political,  and  economic  institution-­‐     Peace  Movements   • Organized  opposition  to  war   • Alliances  to  remove  conditions  believed  to  contribute  to  war  (e.g.  structural   violence,  “culture  of  violent  solutions”)   • Seeking  change  “from  outside  and  below”  (Young,  p.  144)   • “[C]reating  a  peace  culture  or  consciousness  at  a  global  level  has  become  a   latent,  if  not  always  a  manifest,  goal  and  function  of  these  movements.”-­‐  Nigel   Young  (p.  150)-­‐  in  a  world  that  is  becoming  more  inter
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit