Class 6 Notes
Prince of Peace, God of War movie clip class reflection notes
Women in leadership bias against women? Only white middle aged men
Pacifist
How can just war people exhibit a peacemaking approach?
Notes from the film continued
David Wiliams (pacifist)
o Violence is wrong in all cases unless it meets a very specific criteria
o Problem: Jesus teachings are written in a way that you can only either do peace or
war, be peaceful or do violence
Jordon Cooper (Just War)Some people assume that Just war theory enable everything.
That’s not true, just war has always been within the context of nations
Abortion vs. the death penalty and war
Bruxy (pacifist)
o Jesus spoke of peace as a lifestyle, not a goal. Peace is how you live, you don’t
use violence to get peace
o The just-war theory and the peace theory both leave us with a set of questions but
the peace theory leaves us with the right set of questions
I want to be a pacifist myself until I see footage of children in Europe 3 days way from
execution or remember how the Jews were treated. I fail to understand how anybody
could not intervene on these things, regardless of what that intervention entails.
Defining terms
Just war
This type of thinking is based on the hope to reduce and lessen and mitigate violence as
much as possible
It’s about trying to limit and reduce war. It’s about getting as many preventative
structures in place so that we don’t have to go to war
It’s a sibling to pacifism
Pacifism and Passivism
To refuse to participate in violence or military service is very different than a kind of
pathology within churches or society where we are passive and non-resistant.
Passivism does not equal Non-violence
Pacifism is more to do with a refusal to deal with violence and to fight. It’s belief or
ideology that has to do with refusing to fight whereas non-violence is more of a positive
strategy and methodology of engaging in conflict with a non-violent approach, it’s a pro-
active strategy.
Crusade
Abortion
Professor read a article about shooting an abortion doctor
Christian version
Prevent the killing of babies in a way is parallel to intervening to protect peoples’ lives in
Rwanda or another example where people are defenceless
Sin language
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.