Peace and Conflict Studies
Course
PACS 201
Professor
Nathan Funk
Semester
Winter

Description
CONFLICT, VIOLENCE, AND PEACE Conflict Recognizing conflict:  Expression of struggle  Confrontation (aggressive or not)  Not recognizing someone’s opinion  Involves partnership  Emotional intensity  Disagreement Conflict = Latin—idea of striking things together  Basic to life; w/o it, may mean there isn’t life  What results of existence, real/imagined, of incompatible interests, goals, beliefs or activities  Argued that it is inherently good/bad depending on how we handle it (constructive/destructive)  Not the same thing as violence; violence is a type of conflict  Is normal; natural; sign of life  Most conflict in the world is not violent Violence Violence = Latin—to violate  Harm or degradation: action that violates wholeness or integrity of a living system  Condition that deprives us of our full humanity  3 types: - direct (seen) - structural (unseen) - cultural (unseen) *all interrelated  Direct violence: - clear actor and clear victim - action that cause harm is obvious - i.e. war, genocide, terrorism, domestic abuse, harassment  Structural violence: - “cold” or institutionalized violence caused by social systems - usually assumed to be dealing with preventable and unnecessary harm to human beings - indirect: no obvious perpetrator - exploitation, repression, environmental destruction, unequal distribution of life chances - i.e. homelessness, malnutrition, slavery  Cultural violence: - “mental” or symbolic violence - beliefs and attitudes that justify, affirm, or encourage direct or structural violence may themselves be regarded as “violent” - i.e. stereotyping, racism, dehumanization, militarism, “virtual violence” as entertainment Apartheid in South Africa:  System of distinguishing “whites” and “non-whites” - unequal facilities, inclusion, and representation in political power - cultural violence to races - structural violence to life expectancy and chances; very different - direct violence; need for police violence to maintain system; counter
More Less

Related notes for PACS 201

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit