Lecture 1 - Introduction to Conflict
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:37 PM
Name : Arwa Naalwala
Binah and Esther Example
- Esther was dealing with Intrapersonal conflict that had nothing to do with her team
- The best outcomefor them was to end the relationship
Fundamental Principlesof Course
- The more you focus on changing someoneelse, the more they resist
○ The only person you can change is yourself
○ Acting differently in each situation
- John and Jack example :
○ John told Jack to stop behaving in such and such manner
Jack didn’t stop behaving in that manner when John was acting with grace
□ Moral : Peopleneed boundaries set for them they can't do it for themselves.
- Victor Frank : Book - "Man's search for meaning"
○ Those who died in the holocaust were not chosen at random.
○ The ones who were had a sense of meaning and purpose, lived longer.
- Conflict = normal
○ Sometimesthe absence of conflict is a bad sign
○ Means people are not being honest with each other
○ When we are in a place of disagreement with each other, we can come up with better ideas and reach the
Ex : Company A takes over CompanyB ( the employeesagreed to the owner all the time)
□ Company B never invented anything new
○ Spirit & Skill
The spirit you are walking into a conversationwith
□ I am right and he is wrong vs. Curiosity