Module 5 - Internal Health and Safety Issues.docx

7 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 215
Professor
Brian Orend

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Description
Module 5 Internal Health and Safety IssuesRelated Issues of Employee Rights Case StudyWestray Coal Mine Disaster Nova Scotia 199226 people diedSubsequent Inquiry into the Disaster o Complete breakdown of al reasonable health and safety measures o Such a recent occurrence o Complicity of everyone in what went onManagement had many problems o Focus on maximizing profits o Mine needs to be continuously active o Mandated long shifts o Overall project focus was to get as much out of the mine within a certain period of time o Willing to take risks with the health and safety of their workers o Insensitive to workers complaints about health and safety o Threatened people with losing their jobs for complaining o Most of the management had no certification of training in min safety Workers were the least to blame in this case o Acquiescent docile workforce o Raised some concerns o Proposed some alternatives o Docile because they needed the work and jobs were hard to find in metropolitan centers such as in Nova ScotiaRole of the Regulators of the Nova Scotia Civil Service o Each of the government ministries involved in the regulation of mines bent to the will of management during inspectionsMinistry of LabourDepartment of HealthInspections of standards were spottyWhen they did occur civil servants seemed to be uniquely susceptible to managements interpretation of the issue o Tend to see more of this is poorer and more remote areas due to lack of government resourcesFindings o Even though adequate standard were enforced there was a compliance problemResults o An explosion which could easily have been preventedMore ventilation bring in air from the outsideStone dustingshoot additional particles into the air that render the methane inert so that it doesnt blow up o Two of the senior management faced with charges of manslaughter and negligence causing bodily harmAlthough the charges were subsequently stayed which means the prosecution did not follow through with the charges
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit