Winter 2017

Department
Planning
Course Code
PLAN341
Professor
Mike Stone
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
PLAN 471 Lecture 2 (Jan 11)
- territories are delegated by federal gov’t, don’t have independent constitutional
status while provinces have independent authority
Excerpt from Municipal Act Reading (Section 5 (3))
- municipal act is the general legislation for municipalities
- that’s why an official plan is passed by a by-law, needs to be endorsed and passed
by counsel, the legal authority is transferred by a by-law
- section 239, all means should be open to the public, to emphasize practical things
about public meetings, express situations where public is secluded from the meeting
- solicitor-client privilege doesn’t meet anything if the meeting is happening in
public
- the whole point is to ensure transparency in the municipality, this is for meetings
in counsel
- lot of gov’t happens one on one, where for eg. Landowner sees a counselor or
neighbourhood association sees counselor, this is why municipalities have lobbyists
registries
- but exceptions to this: when litigations started, you have professional obligations
to prevent you from speaking one on one from counselors, unless you have
permission from lawyers from the city, approach to ensure certain level of fairness
so no decisions are made that they’re not aware of , but clients can talk to them
- when it comes to body corporate, counsel acting as a corporation and as a natural
person, it can’t meet with anyone outside of the public process unless it meets one
of the exceptions, when they’re functioning as a group they have those limitations,
but not as an individual
- what court is interested in is if the counsel as a group was acting with bad faith,
cause counsel as a group is the one passing the decision
Pg 4 East York Case
- emphasizes the role of municipalities in constitutional terms
- Mike harris was conservative and wanted to change the way gov’t ran, collapse all
the constituent municipalities that made of metropolitan Toronto that was a
regional gov’t east york, north york, scarborough, etc, collapse them all into one
city of Toronto and one gov’t
- only north york declined to participate in challenging this
- combined municipalities without any public opinion
- municipalities challenged this on constitutional terms, except north york
- 34or is reporters, general division is general court
- date of decision is key, understanding the context in which the decision was made
- headnote - editors summary of the case
- list of lawyers at bottom of pg 6
- lots of lawyers involved, piece of legislation that was amalgating these
municipalities
- decision at top of pg : application is type of cause of action where you’re applying
to the court for something, not an action, 2 kinds of cases: an application is brought
when the facts aren’t largely in dispute (afadavid sworn of statement, arguing
find more resources at oneclass.com
about facts that aren’t contested, and if a lot of facts are in dispute then its an action
(evidence given under oath)
- to challenge the city of Toronto act, SO (decision of province)
- municipalities will be dissolved and assets and liabilities will become of the new
city without any compensation
- give you community counselors for each of these municipalities but they become
one city
- the above is the judge summarizing the circumstances and the facts
- language of the legislation was strange (ie dissolve the municipalities)
- pg 8 nature of towns: challenged on 2 grounds, 1st one is that it violates charter of
rights and freedom (provincial and federal which have independence status, the
only way to challenge those legislation is to challenge them legally as constitutional
challenge so one of them is a charter challenge) 2nd challenge: alleged failure to
consult the municipalities before bill 103 (exceeds the authority granted to the
provinces under 928 to pass in relation to municipal institution)
- why wouldn’t this pass? Pg 9: court recognizes the foundation of this concern,
wasn’t part of the gov’ts platform
- pg : didn’t consult with the municipalities or the public, such however is
the prerogative gov’t, courts made it clear that no obligation for them to
consult with the municipalities
- important to understand role of courts and their review of judicial reviews,
is it the role of the courts to review the merits of legislation whether it deals
well with it or no, exclusively no, but to ensure that gov’t have stayed within
their border and followed the charter in legal aspect, municipalities must
point to valid legislation to do what they can do, and if its not there then they
can’t do it
- role of courts is if act infringes guaranteed by the charter, or exceeds the
power in terms of provincial legislation
- 4 principals listed in case study: from these principles, there are no local
cdn gov’ts that are autonomous, etc. rest in case study
- bottom of page: speak directly to fed and provincial gov’t the right to vote,
bottom line is that it can be up to provincial gov’t to say there are no
municipalities and they can run it directly
- pg , second last paragraph: outrage doesn’t make for legal reasons
- basic foundation of the nature of municipalities
Professor (ogg’s book
- pg 16, general what is constitutional law: explains how organs can exercise power
(legislative, executive, judicial power) and limitations of these powers
- a constitution has ben described as reflecting the national soul, must recognize and
protect the values of the nation
- charter of rights and freedom
- nations respect the rule of law
- whether the rights have been infringed in a way that can be saved in section 1,
there are limitations to your rights, if there was no ability to limit someone’s rights,
you can’t put someone in jail

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PLAN 471 Lecture 2 (Jan 11) territories are delegated by federal govt, dont have independent constitutional status while provinces have independent authority Excerpt from Municipal Act Reading (Section 5 (3)) municipal act is the general legislation for municipalities thats why an official plan is passed by a bylaw, needs to be endorsed and passed by counsel, the legal authority is transferred by a bylaw section 239, all means should be open to the public, to emphasize practical things about public meetings, express situations where public is secluded from the meeting solicitorclient privilege doesnt meet anything if the meeting is happening in public the whole point is to ensure transparency in the municipality, this is for meetings in counsel lot of govt happens one on one, where for eg. Landowner sees a counselor or neighbourhood association sees counselor, this is why municipalities have lobbyists registries but exceptions to this: when litigations started, you have professional obligations to prevent you from speaking one on one from counselors, unless you have permission from lawyers from the city, approach to ensure certain level of fairness so no decisions are made that theyre not aware of , but clients can talk to them when it comes to body corporate, counsel acting as a corporation and as a natural person, it cant meet with anyone outside of the public process unless it meets one of the exceptions, when theyre functioning as a group they have those limitations, but not as an individual what court is interested in is if the counsel as a group was acting with bad faith, cause counsel as a group is the one passing the decision Pg 4 East York Case emphasizes the role of municipalities in constitutional terms Mike harris was conservative and wanted to change the way govt ran, collapse all the constituent municipalities that made of metropolitan Toronto that was a regional govt (east york, north york, scarborough, etc), collapse them all into one city of Toronto and one govt only north york declined to participate in challenging this combined municipalities without any public opinion municipalities challenged this on constitutional terms, except north york 34or is reporters, general division is general court date of decision is key, understanding the context in which the decision was made headnote editors summary of the case list of lawyers at bottom of pg 6 lots of lawyers involved, piece of legislation that was amalgating these municipalities decision at top of pg 7: application is type of cause of action where youre applying to the court for something, not an action, 2 kinds of cases: an application is brought when the facts arent largely in dispute (afadavid sworn of statement, arguing
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit