PSYCH101 Lecture Notes - Personnel Selection, Performance Appraisal

56 views2 pages
erinhyena970 and 37878 others unlocked
PSYCH101 Full Course Notes
PSYCH101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
13 documents

Document Summary

Personnel selection techniques that aim to match people"s strengths with work that enables them and their organization to flourish. Determined that for all but less-skilled jobs, general mental ability best predicts on-the-job performance. Ie: i have excellent interviewing skills, so i don"t need reference checking as much as someone who doesn"t have my ability to read people . Offer a disciplined method for collecting information (ie: not a casual conversation. Script questions, ask them in the same order, to all applicants and rate them on established scales. Structured interviews pinpoint strengths (attitudes, behaviours, knowledge, and skills) Structured interviews double the predictive accuracy compared to unstructured. Structured also reduce bias, such as against overweight applicants. Serves organizational purposes: helps to decide who to retain, how to appropriately reward and pay people, and how to better harness employee strengths. Also serves individual purposes: feedback affirms workers" strengths and helps motivate needed improvements.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers