Psychology
Course
PSYCH 101
Professor
Martha Savage
Semester
Winter

Description
LECTURE 30 OCCUPATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY SECTION 39.1 39.1 PERSONNEL PSYCHOLOGY How do personnel psychologists help organizations with employee selection, work placement, and performance appraisal? Harnessing Strengths - personnel selection techniques that aim to match people’s strengths with work that enables them and their organization to flourish Do Interviews Predict Performance? - interviewers’ judgements are weak predictors - determined that for all but less-skilled jobs, general mental ability best predicts on-the-job performance The Interviewer Illusion - when interviewers overrate their discernment - ie: “I have excellent interviewing skills, so I don’t need reference checking as much as someone who doesn’t have my ability to read people” 4 factors explain the gap between interviewers’ intuition and resulting reality: 1) Interviews disclose the interviewee’s good intentions, which are less revealing than habitual behaviours 2) Interviewers more often ollow the successful careers of those they have hired than the successful careers o those they have rejected and lost track o 3) Interviewers presume that people are what they seem to be in the interview situation 4) Interviewers’ preconceptions and moods color how they perceive interviewees’ responses Structured interviews - offer a disciplined method for collecting information (ie: NOT a casual conversation - scri
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit