Psychology (2,034)
PSYCH 101 (695)
Lecture 6

Lecture 6 Vocabulary List

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Martha Savage

Psych 101 – Lecture 6 Vocabulary List Please learn the concepts referred to below prior to Lecture 6 to get the most benefit from the class. Note that this material is covered in Modules 23, 24, 25 of the text book. You are welcome to use other sources if you prefer. 1. Associative Learning a. Classical Conditioning - learn to associate 2 stimuli and thus to anticipate events i. Ivan Pavlov - explored classical conditioning - dog experiment: conditioned dog to salivate from hearing a tone (neutral stimulus) ii. Unconditioned stimulus - an unlearned stimulus (ie: food) iii. Unconditioned response - normal response to unconditioned stimulus (ie: salivation to food)  unlearned iv. Conditioned stimulus - a learned stimulus (ie: ringing a tone) v. Conditioned response - response to the conditioned stimulus (ie: salivation to a tone) b. Operant Conditioning - learn to associate a response (our behaviour) and its consequence and thus to repeat acts followed by good results and avoid acts followed by bad results - punishment tells you what not to do; reinforcement tells you what to do i. B.F. Skinner - designed an operant chamber (skinner box) - box has bar that animal presses to release a reward of food or water - used method of shaping, by using reinforcers (food
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.